Time has flown by.  I only have 3 days left at work.  The project has organized a one day international symposium on heart failure which runs tomorrow.  I am looking forward to that.  Being able to attend is a little bonus at the end of my contract.  I almost wish I was here a little longer so I could see the clinic running on it’s own.  It is hard to leave halfway through this process.  My heart failure partner Ellen will be staying on for about another month before she heads back to Victoria.  From what I understand, the next step could be having a transplant nurse come out to do more teaching in that area.  Another nurse from Canada arrived about a week ago.  I used to work with Janell at the Foothills in CICU.  It has been so fun having her join the group.  She is living in the apartment next door to me.  There are so many of us in the building now, I almost feel like I am living in residence again.  I have been fortunate to be working with such a great group of people.  There are many nurses here who are keen and motivated to make this clinic a success.  I hope that what I have done will help get them on their way.

Outside of work, things have been a little strange.  I witnessed a mugging outside of our apartment one evening.  Several days later, our minivan passed a terrible accident. To make things worse, the next day as we were driving to work, we passed some cops standing over a body bag on the beach.  If bad things happen in three, we should be done.  All I have to say is I am thankful all of this didn’t happen in my first week of being here!

With Skype, BBM, Facebook and Face time I have kept in touch with almost everyone at home that I normally talk to.  I think this had a huge influence on how well I did with being away from home for 3 months.  Despite the time difference, I still had regular chats with everyone.  The only one I haven’t seen is Seven and seeing him is on the top of my list of things to do do when I get home!

I am going to miss all of my new friends.  I was SO LUCKY to have met Fatima (thank you Tami!).  I have added some pictures of one of the latest parties.  It was  a surprise birthday party….one of my goals was to wear an abaya at some point while I was here.  It was fun for about the first hour, then I was just plain hot.  I guess I wouldn’t make a very good Kuwaiti princess.

I leave for Turkey at the end of the week.  I will make a short stop in Beirut before heading home!  So that is about it.  I survived.  I even had fun.  I am so glad I didn’t let my fears stop me from doing this!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s